Tourmaline is the Earth’s most colorful gem as it has a wide variety of exciting colors. Tourmaline is a natural, colourful, semi-precious gemstone of the Cyclosilicates mineral group. It has variety of colors ranging from black, brown, red, pink, purple, yellow to green, colorless and even bi color. Each color variety has its own metaphysical value in different astrological systems. For instance – Vedic astrology recommends Green tourmaline as the substitute of emerald gemstone. It is regarded as October birthstone in western culture. Gem healing therapy also advocates the use of Green Tourmaline for body detoxification and stress reduction.
Who Can Wear Tourmaline Stone?
Tourmaline (meaning ‘Turmuli stone’ in Hindi & ‘Turmalina stone’ in Spanish) is a popular healing gemstone known for its powerful detoxification effect on the body. This gemstone is said to bring numerous health benefits in terms of physical and emotional well-being.
- In vedic astrology, Turmuli ratna represents planet Saturn (शनि ग्रह) and Mercury(बुध ग्रह).
- Green tourmaline is recommended as the substitute of emerald and is considered highly beneficial for Gemini (Mithuna) and Virgo (Kanya) rashi.
- Gem healing therapy and Reiki (a popular Japanese healing technique) suggest Tourmaline gemstone for stress reduction and relaxation. This gemstone is known for releasing negative ions that counteract the negative energies and help to deal with low confidence, fear and communication related issues.
Tourmaline occurs in the rainbow of colors and their physical and chemical properties vary significantly. It would be too exhaustive to discuss each in detail here, but let’s have a quick look at some popular types.
Black Tourmaline – Natural Black tourmaline stone is a semi-translucent to opaque variety of Tourmaline gemstone that occurs in different shades of black like dark black, bluish black, greenish black etc). People of ancient cultures placed deep faith in Black tourmaline healing properties and metaphysical attributes. It is abundant in nature, therefore, also regarded as a highly affordable jewelry gemstone. To buy Black tourmaline online see wide stock at Pinkshop.
Watermelon Tourmaline – Another rare and unique addition in the Tourmaline family, the natural Watermelon tourmaline stone exhibits green and pink color with minor white area separating the color. It is often addressed as Bi color Tourmaline or Tri color tourmaline in gem certificates. The loose Watermelon tourmaline gemstone looks remarkably beautiful when customised in jewelry.
Pink Tourmaline – As its name shows, a natural Pink tourmaline stone displays pleasing pink color and is used for making fancy jewelry pieces. In western countries, Pink tourmaline birthstone jewelry is quite popular amongst the new generation. Read our detailed Pink tourmaline Buying Guide to know about Pink Tourmaline prices and healing properties.
Paraiba Tourmaline – It is one of the most sought-after, copper-containing, rare tourmaline varieties (also called Cuprian Elbaite) that displays a distinctive neon blue to blue green color with an incredible glow. Natural Paraiba tourmaline is a highly precious member of its group. Gem-quality loose Paraiba tourmaline is quite rare and comes only from Brazil, Nigeria and Mozambique mines. At PinkShop, we always recommend buyers to purchase Paraiba tourmaline certified by trusted gem labs such as GIA, IGI, GTL, GRS etc. Gem quality Rutilated Quartz rough comes from a variety of locations including Brazil, Australia, Madagascar, Nepal, Pakistan, India, US and Mexico. Amongst different origin varieties, Brazilian Rutilated Quartz is the most popular.
Green Tourmaline (Verdelite) – Natural Green tourmaline (Verdelite gemstone) is a vibrant green colored stone. Green tourmaline birthstone jewelry is recommended and considered highly beneficial for October borns in western culture. Vedic astrologers also believe in Green Tourmaline healing and metaphysical properties for bringing happiness, prosperity and good health for the wearer.
Rubellite Tourmaline – Natural Rubellite gemstone is a highly valuable gem variety of Tourmaline recognised by its deep reddish pink to pinkish purple hue. Rubellite meaning (‘Reddish’ in English) is closely associated with its mesmerising purplish red hue that makes this gemstone unique.
- Blue Tourmaline (Indicolite) – Rare and beautiful, natural Blue tourmaline or Indicolite gemstone is a valuable blue colored gem variety of Tourmaline family. Due to its good durability, Blue tourmaline stone is used for making fashionable ornaments and birthstone jewelry.
- Schorl Tourmaline – Schorl tourmaline point to the exclusive deep black color variety of Tourmaline that bears a remarkable luster. The typical Schorl mineral is rich in iron content and is usually opaque. In healing therapies, it is regarded as a protection stone that cloaks the wearer from negative energies or an evil eye. At Pinkshop, we provide natural, certified Schorl tourmaline for sale in Australia, United States, UK, Dubai and nearly 150+ countries across the globe.
- Red Tourmaline – This red colored tourmaline variety gives a tough competition to many popular red gemstones. Red tourmaline stone is often used for making fancy colored jewelry. In addition, Red tourmaline healing properties give another strong reason to own this gemstone in your collection. At Pinkshop, we have a huge variety of Red tourmaline for sale in different shapes and carat weight.
- Yellow Tourmaline – Yellow tourmaline or Canary tourmaline is a bright yellow colored tourmaline gemstone. According to vedic astrology, Yellow tourmaline stone can be worn to gain the astrological benefits of magnanimous planet Jupiter. Ancient people believed in the Yellow tourmaline healing benefits to boost the wearer’s digestive health and immune system.
Chrome Tourmaline – This chromium-rich, vibrant green colored Tourmaline is recognised amongst top-quality gemstone, in its own group. Chrome tourmaline gemstone is used by famous jewelry designers for making designer colored jewelry.
Natural Tourmaline stone has been used by saints and healer for gaining protection and relief from physical and mental ailments since ancient times. Even today, it is believed that tourmaline metaphysical properties cure the wearer on all grounds – physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Read about some other important Tourmaline uses and benefits –
Supports Detoxification – Gem healers believed that Tourmaline gemstone has a powerful detoxifying effect that helps to expel toxins and harmful acids from the wearer’s body. It promotes positivity and brings happiness in the person’s life.
Protects from Bad Dreams & Evil Eye – Wearing tourmaline is strongly recommended to individuals suffering from insomnia or any sleep disorder. Its calming energies help to promote emotional healing, improve concentration power and ease sleep. Ancient people also believed that wearing Black tourmaline benefits the individual by offering protection against an evil eye and bad dreams.
Improves Health & Immunity – Some professional athletes have noted that wearing tourmaline powers their performance and allows quick recovery following a workout. Its curative properties help to cleanse liver, kidney, skin, blood and digestive system. Tourmaline healing properties also help in fat reduction, relieve stress and improve libido in men.
Quality of Tourmaline
Origin, Color, Clarity, Luster, and Cut collectively influence the quality of a natural Tourmaline gemstone. While buying an best AAA quality Tourmaline, it is important to keep these quality parameters in mind. According to the gem experts, a real, genuine tourmaline having bright color, good transparency, lesser inclusions, and a proportionate cut is quite valuable and considered the best quality Tourmaline gemstone.
- Origin – Tourmaline mines are located in different parts of the world including Madagascar, Nigeria, Namibia, Africa, India, Pakistan, Burma, Mozambique and USA. But the most prolific mines of Tourmaline are present in Brazil. Brazilian tourmaline stone is highly sought after for its mesmerising neon blue to green hues. Burmese tourmaline displays mesmerising red, pink and some bi colors and amazing brilliance.
Color – Tourmaline gemstones come in an unimaginable number of colors. Bright, rare and intense color tourmaline are the most valuable ones. This includes Paraiba, Rubellite, Indicolite, Chrome etc. Watermelon tourmaline is prized for its uniqueness and popularity. Too dark or pale tourmalines are relatively less in demand and not as coveted. However, buying a slight pale colored natural tourmaline is always better than paying for simulated, lab created or synthetic tourmaline with brighter hues.
Clarity – Being the cleanest variety, Green tourmaline gemstone is regarded as a Type I clarity gemstone which means they are expected to be transparent and free from eye visible flaws. Other color varieties such as blue, orange, red, purple etc. are categorised as Type II clarity stone because these crystals bear few natural inclusions which are acceptable. In contrast, the deep red (Rubellite) and Watermelon belong to Type III as they have more internal imperfections in the form of liquid inclusions, gas inclusions, net-like mesh or hollow needles due to geographical reasons. Overall, fewer inclusions and good transparency do make the gem more valuable.
Uniqueness (Cat’s eye tourmaline) – Interestingly, in special cases, the presence of the right type of inclusions can increase the tourmaline value. If microscopic rutile needles are present inside the raw tourmaline, an expert cut (perfectly polished cabochon) can result in a mesmerising Cats eye tourmaline. This tourmaline shows a rare phenomenon called Cats eye effect resembling the opening and closing of a cat’s eye when viewed under direct light.
Cut – It is noted that most of the loose tourmaline gemstones in the market are narrow and rectangular. This is because raw tourmaline crystals are found in nature as cylindrical rod shape and therefore cut according to reduce waste of rough stone. However, tourmalines can be found in other fancy shapes as well. But they are more precious and are little hard to find.
Whether buying Tourmaline gemstone for jewelry or for astrological reasons, it is important to be sure of the pricing that suits your budget. The price of Tourmaline per carat largely depends upon the quality and origin of the gemstone.
Generally, Tourmaline price in India starts from ₹200 per carat ($3 approx.) and goes up to ₹ 3,200 per carat ($45 approx.) plus depending upon its quality and size. However, one can find a notable difference in Tourmaline price in other countries like USA, UAE, U.K, Dubai or Malaysia. Tourmaline cost per carat may also vary in different cities of the same country. For e.g. – Due to the higher gem cutting and polishing charge in cities like Mumbai, Tourmaline price in Mumbai can be higher than Tourmaline gemstone price in Jaipur, Delhi or Kolkata where cutting and polishing can be done at much affordable prices. Therefore, buying tourmaline online is always a better way to ensure best prices.
- Origin – Paraiba Brazilian tourmaline commands the highest value amongst all tourmaline due to its breath-taking beauty and immense rarity in nature. They cost upward of Rs 3500 per carat (50$ approx.). Stones from origins like Mozambique tourmaline, Afghan tourmaline, Russian tourmaline, and Sri Lanka tourmaline serve as other valuable and popular choices.
- Color – The price of tourmaline majorly depends upon the intensity, saturation and rarity of the color. Due to its intense hue and high demand, Rubellite, Watermelon tourmaline, Chrome tourmaline and Blue Paraiba fetch a higher cost. On the other hand, Pink tourmaline, green tourmaline and black tourmaline are more affordable.
- Clarity – Like other gemstones, clarity in tourmalines is determined by the level of transparency and inclusions (its nature, volume and location). Eye clean tourmaline (in any color) with good transparency (except black) increases the price in the gemstone market. The presence of milkiness and eye visible flaws often disturb the gem’s nature beauty decreasing the Tourmaline overall worth. Black tourmaline or Schorl tourmaline are usually judged by the surface quality. Smoother and cleaner is the Black tourmaline surface, better is its value.
Cut – A beautifully faceted tourmaline with good symmetry enhances the color, luster and gem’s overall cost. In the market, tourmaline in commercial cuts like rectangular, square and emerald are more common and relatively affordable. On the other hand, the fancy tourmalines in highly customised cuts are sold at slightly higher prices because they involve more wastage of rough in the cutting process. Tourmaline cabochon always serves as an economical option as it causes minimum loss of rough stone.
Carat weight – The increase in Tourmaline price per carat with size depends upon the quality and rarity of the gemstone. For instance, Paraiba tourmaline price per carat increases exponentially for stones above few carats because they are exceptionally rare in large size. The fine quality red Rubellite prices per carat become high after passing first five carats. Black tourmaline is abundant in nature, hence, Black tourmaline price per carat doesn’t show any significant change for bigger size stones.
Q) What is Tourmaline stone?
A) Tourmaline refers to the natural, semi-precious gemstones of the Silicate mineral family which is found in a plethora of colors. Tourmaline gemstones draw their color from the element traces present in them. Depending upon the element traces, Tourmalines comes in following mineral variation – Buergerite, Chrome Dravite, Dravite, Elbaite, Foitite, Feruvite, Olenite, Liddicoatite, Uvite, Schorl and Povondraite.
The term ‘tourmaline’ is derived from a Singhalese term ‘Turmali’ translated as ‘mixed stones’. Because of the wide color range, ancient Egyptians believed that tourmaline received their color from passing over the rainbow. This gemstone not just has a pleasing appearance but also comes with a mesmerising magnetic effect. Ancient healers find Tourmaline find this gemstone an effective aid for body detoxification and admired the warm healing properties of this magnificent gemstone.
At Pinkshop, we provide the finest collection of 100% natural, untreated and unheated Tourmaline for sale to fulfil all your astrological needs. We are amongst the leading Tourmaline suppliers in India providing FREE lab certificate with every purchase to ensure the quality and authenticity of our products.
Q) How to identify Tourmaline stone?
A) Purchased a certified gemstone serves as the most reliable method to ensure the identity and authenticity of a natural gemstone. The lab testing labs issue a Tourmaline Identification certificate that includes information about the gemstone species, color, weight, dimension etc. At Pinkshop, find a good collection of original gemstones pre-certified by some internationally recognised gemmological institutions like GIA, IGI, GII, GRS, C- Dunaigre, Gubellin etc.
One can also avail a primary gem consultation before buying a tourmaline to get a better understanding of this gemstone. At Pinkshop, we have a team of knowledgeable Gemstone Specialists who will help you in making your Tourmaline purchase easier and delightful at Pinkshop.