Peridot is one of the few gemstones that occur in only olive-green color. Peridot is an ancient Gem of the mineral Olivine. Its unique color is not seen in any other gemstone.
Peridot stone is a green colored, semi-precious gemstone from the Olivine mineral family. As an astrological substitute of emerald, it is worn to promote intelligence, communication skills and good health.
Who can wear Peridot stone?
Peridot (meaning Ghritmani in Hindi) is concerned with planet Mercury (बुध). Astrologers recommend this gemstone to strengthen Mercury in an individual’s horoscope. A weak Mercury can hamper intelligence, communication and psychological health of a person.
- Indian astrology prescribes peridot birthstone for Mithun (Gemini) and Kanya(Virgo) rashi.
- Western astrology recommends August birthstone peridot for Cancer sunsign (कर्क राशि).
- Ascendants of Taurus (वृषभ राशि), Libra (तुला राशि), Capricorn (मकर राशि) and Aquarius (कुंभ राशि) can also wear peridot.
How to wear Peridot stone?
|Weight||Minimum 1/10th of the body weight. E.g. – a person weighing 50 Kgs can wear a 5 carat peridot gem.|
|Color||For best astrological results, bright green peridot is recommended. Untreated, natural olive-green peridot can also be worn.|
|Metal||Best worn in a silver ring. In certain cases, gold, panchdhaatu, platinum & white gold can also be preferred.|
|Finger||Little finger (कनिष्ठा) or ring finger (अनामिका) of the working hand.|
|Day & Time||Wednesday, after sunset, is best time to wear Peridot.|
|Mantra & Chanting Times||Om Bum Budhaye Namah, ॐ बुं बुधाय नम: (108 times)|
Peridot Stone Benefits
Improves Intelligence and Learning Ability – Mercury signifies intelligence. Wearing peridot benefits people by improving their intellect, memory and comprehension abilities. Astrologers strongly recommend this ratna for students suffering with concentration issues like distraction and short attention span.
Boosts Oratory Skills –Astrologers believe that peridot is highly beneficial for people holding roles or positions where high level of human interaction is involved. Professionals working in entertainment, media or public relations industries can benefit hugely by wearing a peridot gemstone (घृतमणि).
Heals Skin Ailments & Psychological Disorders – Peridot gemstone benefits people suffering from nervous disorders and skin allergies. Wearing a peridot ring can calm tensed nerves, restore gladness and cure skin related ailments.
Peridot stone price changes with change in its origin, clarity, size, treatment and cut. Peridot price in India begins from ₹ 500 per carat and can go as high as ₹ 3,000 per carat ($6 to $31), even more (depending on its overall quality).
- Origin–Mexico U.S.A and Brazil are known for producing peridot gems on a commercial scale. Other notable origins like Pakistan, Australia, Myanmar are also popular for Peridot mining. Peridot cost for Burmese and Pakistani origins remains high in gemstone markets, usually.
- Color– Peridot is one of the very few gemstones that comes in a single color. However, intensity of green may change with change in origin. Bright-green peridot color attracts higher pricing. Uneven coloring and brown or yellow tint can reduce peridot stone value.
- Clarity– Inclusions like lily pads or black mineral spots lessen the price of peridot. More visual the inclusion is, higher is its impact on peridot’s price.
- Size– Peridot’s value increases with increase in its carat weight .
- Cut– Cut and shape also bear influence on overall worth of Peridot. Highly faceted (cushion, princess cut) peridot is more expensive than round or oval stones due to the gemstone loss incurred in the cutting process.
- Treatment– Peridot is usually sold in the market as it is, i.e. without enhancements. Natural peridot stone is more expensive than treated ones.
1 Ratti = .91 Carats
Whether buying Peridot for astrological or jewelry reasons, it is important to ascertain its quality by going through a couple of factors as mentioned below to buy the best quality Peridot gemstone.
- Origin– U.S.A, Burma, Russia, Australia, Brazil, Pakistan and China, are popular locations where peridot mines are found. However, Burmese peridot is renowned for its bright green color and superior clarity, followed by Pakistan originated peridot. Stones from U.S.A, Brazil, China are darker and come off cheap for this reason.
- Color– Though peridot comes only in green color but differs in tint from pure green to greenish-yellow and brownish green. Pure green peridot with richer consistency is more desirable, both astrologically and aesthetically. Yellow or brownish green peridot gems are considered to be of lower quality and can decrease the value of peridot gemstone substantially.
- Clarity– Inclusions in peridot appear as silky disc shaped fragments called ‘lily pads’. Both volume and visual (location) of inclusion, can lower the worth of the gemstone significantly. It is important to understand that inclusions may not always be a bad sign as they imply the stone is natural and treatment-free and so can be worn for astrological purposes.
Q) What is a Peridot gemstone?
A) Peridot, popularly known as ‘Olivine stone’ or ‘Evening Emerald’ in English and ‘Jabargad’ in Urdu, is a green colored semi-precious gemstone from the Olivine family. Gemological properties of Peridot like presence of Iron and average to decent hardness of 7 on Moh’s scale makes it a frequently used gemstone in jewelry. Also, it is one of the oldest gemstones known to exist in ancient civilizations like Egypt. Metaphysical significance and high abundance made Peridot a popular gemstone among different cultures. In vedic astrology, it is recognized as an effective substitute of Emerald. Being associated with planet Mercury, peridot is known to boost intelligence and communication of the wearer. Due to its rich green color and high luster, peridot is also used in making jewelry.
Q) Which origin peridot is best for astrological purpose?
A) Peridot from Burma, Pakistan, U.S.A and Russia is favored for astrological use because of rich and consistent green color and relatively superior clarity found in most of the stones mined from these geographies. At Pinkshop, you can buy peridot online from a huge collection of over 60 plus varieties.
Q) Which metal is suitable for wearing peridot?
A) Silver is considered ideal for wearing peridot. However, depending on planetary conditions, gold, panchdhaatu, white gold and platinum can also be chosen in exceptional cases.
Q) Peridot or Brazilian Emerald, which is a better astrological choice?
A) Although, both gemstones represent planet ‘Mercury’ in vedic astrology but Brazilian emerald being the primary gemstone, is recommended as a better astrological choice. Primary gemstones (in this case Brazilian Emerald) are better adapted to harness astrological energies and deliver quicker results than Upratnas or substitutes. Usually, a substitute is recommended for people who are severely constrained by budget.